Beginning Again and Again

Sixtysomething and still learning how to live in this body, in this world, in this lifetime. I am evolving, as we all are, and I am loving it. I left the corporate world and became a Mah Jongg enthusiast. I am also a newly-converted vegan, walking around with a kidney stone in me. I am proud and happy of what I have, and what I have left behind. Sharing my thoughts with the goal to...share. My ego does not depend on being liked or accepted. I'm too old to care about any of that.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

That's a Wrap

Well, this is fascinating.

I weighed in on Saturday morning at 184.0 pounds, which is UP three-quarters of a pound from last week. Flummoxed, but not too upset, I figured it was a correction from last week's (also) inexplicable 3.6 loss. I also suspected that Howard might have stolen some of my weight loss, since he reported a 5.2 pound dip (bastard!), doing more or less exactly what I did all week. I can't really blame my period, since I was only on Day 18 Saturday, and I hadn't cheated AT ALL this week at work, a feat in itself, since the Suck-Up Sales Reps came out in formation against me. They sent cookies the size of footballs and "holiday baskets" that resembled more of a stash from a Cheese Freak than anything sensible for a Weight Watcher like me. I don't expect the Suck-Ups to remember my state of being or my current crusade, but I do expect them to send me something a little less "hippy" as in, 'make me look more ____' once I've eaten all the almond-dusted, chocolate-covered, braised-in-alcohol Evils.

I did what any panicked dieter would do, and set every item right next to this big guy in my department. He teeters somewhere near 7 feet tall, and he's about 19 years old, so he has the metabolism of a jackrabbit on jet fuel. I plopped them down on his desk and demanded that he sit there until every crumb disappeared. He gave me a wink and smiled, licking his lips. "I won't disappoint you, Amy." Phew! And thank you.

And still, somehow the pounds stuck AND accumulated on my frame. How rude! I went over my spreadsheet, looking carefully for hidden calories, combing my memory for forgotten Rack of Lambs that I had neglected to catalog, and secretly chastising myself for continuing to live as a couch potato. I no longer eat like a root vegetable, but clearly I'm going to continue looking like one if I don't start trotting on the treadmill. Okay, then. I surrender. Bring for the conveyor belt; I'll put my floppy flesh upon it.

I'm surprised by my Zen at the whole thing, but I really didn't do anything wrong. Or so I thought.

Howard and I found this place called Great Wraps a few weeks ago. It's right next to a Subway and it offers steamed/grilled wraps that are a zillion times tastier than the Goodyears-Posing-As-Chicken-Breast fare at my previous favorite sandwich shop. I've been going there nearly every day, ordering the chicken wrap with nothing but lettuce, tomato, and a little teriyaki sauce to dress it up. The wrap is a standard 12-inch jobbie, and since they don't baste it like they do their other creations, I thought I was safe.

The normal low-carb, high fiber wrap that Howard and I use for weekend turkey/tomato combos is an 80-calorie delight, with fourteen crunchy grams of fiber and only 1 lone fat gram. In Weight Watchers terms, it's a 1-point food. I figured that while the Great Wraps couldn't be so amazing, it was likely a standard tortilla, with about 100 calories, 2 grams of fat and a little fiber.

Wrong. This nasty, evil, suck-me-in flour devil is three hundred and twenty calories, and 10 fat grams. TEN! That is 6 points in Weight Watcher-land. I only get twenty-four points in the whole day! Six points, and I had been eating these things 3 or 4 times a week for the last 3 weeks. My weight gain is a mystery no more.

So, okay. Breathing....though much harder to do since my 100% denim size 10 jeans are cutting off the circulation in my tummy. Never, ever trust a restaurant--even one that looks healthy and appears to care about your figure. Ten fat grams. I can't even get into the carb count. Normally, I don't eat 16 fat grams all day, and this FLOUR tortilla that was not braised in butter has 10. So, out goes the Not-So-Great-Wraps, even though my next sandwich is free. Free. Ha! Only if 'free' means, 'free to jump up a size in those no-stretch jeans you were about to throw out.' Instead, I'm throwing out my Frequent Eater card. If I'm going to frequent-eat, I'm going back to the crunchy wraps.

On the up side, Howard found a fat-free hummus recipe, and he made us Grilled Shrimp and hummus wraps for dinner. Now those were Great Wraps.

So long, you Monsters of Deception. I have learned this lesson the hard way. I shan't have to repeat it. Great Wraps, indeed. Seems more like Great Traps.

A the U(nwrapped)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home