Thursday, May 10, 2007

Something Fishy

Fat and I have become reacquainted.

Two weeks ago, when I posted ‘Freakin’ Friday’ and included my daily food intake, I got a call from Twins, who said, ‘you’re not losing weight because there’s not enough fat in your diet.’

Twins has been telling me for 3 years that in order to move fat out of my body, I must first put fat in. At first, I took her advice literally, and ate only fat, figuring that the more I could stuff myself with ‘good’ things, the faster my weight would drop. Guess where that got me? Yup, tipping the scales at 251.0 pounds and wondering why my ‘diet’ wasn’t working.

Then I started WW last year and basically removed fat from my life. Oh sure, there are trace amounts in the garbanzo beans and occasionally a gram or 2 sneaks in from the couscous, but basically I’ve lived a happy and fat free existence for the last 10 months. But the slow losses these last weeks and the irritation that I have only a few (ish) pounds to go before I’m done, while I’m still clearly in weight loss mode irritates me enough to try something new, even if it feels like sliding a cheese grater across my skull.

In order to lose weight, I must eat more fat.

Not just any fat, mind you. Good fat. Yeah, good fat. Sorry, but “good fat” rings right up there with other Impossible to Digest morsels such as ‘pre-pregnant’, and ‘3x petite’. Every time I think about this, I picture myself scooping Crisco straight from the jar or slathering my salad with melted butter. I twitch and I curl up into my wastebasket at work, and then I get behind on my e-mail. What in tarnation is good fat? Olive oil-but not cooked. Then it turns to Trans fat, which is bad. Nuts, but sparingly. Fish oil, preferably still in the fish. Flax seed. No, golden flax seed. No, golden flax meal. So glad I asked. Because you know, one can’t be too careful when it comes to types of seeds that I’ve never heard of before.

The olive oil is out, because 1 teaspoon equals 1 WW POINT. Nuts are also out, because they’re a red light food for me. Twins talks about eating 6 raw almonds a day. I think I can eat 6 almonds before I even get the package opened. Looks like I’ll have to use the supplements. Lucky for me, I already have a little pill-by-the-day that houses my multi-vitamin, my probiotic supplement, my potassium, folic acid, blackstrap molasses iron because, you know, since I’m on a low fat diet, I’m a little bit anemic.

As it turned out, I am having a little bit of fat every day, in my CLA supplements. Conjugated Linoleic Acid (sp?). That’s a fat. This should come as no surprise, since the “tablets” are about as long (and as tasty) as those fake rubber worms you use to catch fish. And speaking of fish, OMG what Guantanamo guard-wannabe invented fish oil supplements? It would have been easier for me to catch a live salmon with my bare hands and squeeze all the oil out of it myself than it would be to swallow these ‘fish gels’. I’m pretty sure if I could fuse 2 of them together, I could make a toboggan. Put 3 together, and I have to stand up to swallow them, because the stack is taller than I am.

I think I understand now why supplementing the diet with fat helps you to lose weight. I can see all the extra calories I’ll be burning by climbing the step ladder to get to the top of the Omega-3 long chain. Forget my little pill bottles. I'd have to use one of Jackie O's old pillbox hats, just to house the fish pills that would then have to work their way down my throat. God help me if one goes sideways. I'd look like one of those cartoon dogs who gets a bone stuck sideways in their throat.

Icky.

I've done it, though. I've downed CLA and fish oil and flax MEAL every day, taking care not to eat it too soon before or after a workout, and staggering it through the day. I do this because Twins suggested it, but also because I need to lie down between supplements. Swallowing somehting as big as DS's head is hard. It conjures up all sorts of memories around his head coming out of me, and then my appetite goes away, and then the last thing I want to do is eat fat. Vicious, awful cycle.

But I've done it. I’ve hated every swallow and I’ve been tensed up so badly this week, ingesting (good) fat that I’ve given myself cramps and heartburn. But I’ve also noticed that I’m a little bit less hungry during the day, and that the flax seed is helping things move along through my system. Howard calls flax meal “nature’s broom”. I’ll just leave it at that.

Last night, I still had some (good) fat to ingest and the only food left for me to eat was jello. Figuring I’d rather ruin my jello than swirl the flax around in water and down it straight, I sprinkled it over my (fat free) reddi-whip. You know what? It wasn’t bad. It turned my dessert into something of a raspberry crunch. In fact, it was decent enough that this morning I stirred the flax into my yogurt. Not bad. Key lime with grains. It’s almost like granola.

So, a compromise at last. There’s fat in my diet-but it’s (almost) all good, and it’s (almost) all in supplements. I’m not drizzling anything over my salad, I’m not draining anything out of the cast iron skillet, and my hunger isn’t as gnawing as it was a week or so ago. Of course, the fish gels still look more like suppositories than vitamins, but hey, I’m getting what I need and I’m not triggering any Bad Food History in my mouth when I swallow them. Believe me-if bad fat tasted like the ‘no fish burp’ capsules, I would have been thin years ago.

152.0 this morning. 99.0 pounds gone, and the next post will tell how many to go.

A the F(at Eater)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home