Tuesday, April 15, 2008

DeManic Monday

General mood: 5 (of 10)
Weight: 156
Tuesday’s feeling: wiped
Wednesday's feeling: clearing

There’s a day every month when my body just comes along for the ride. That was Monday. I managed to get through everything and had a productive day at work, but that caffeine headache drilled a hole into the right side of my brain and then they turned on the A/C, since it was above 40 degrees outside (which apparently constitutes ‘summer’ in Chicago now), so I froze to death all afternoon.

But DS and I had a great evening, even if I was about as interesting as toast crumbs. DS is enthralled by cuckoo clocks right now. The Awesome In-Laws have a cuckoo clock in their kitchen, and DS would bolt up from whatever he was doing to watch the ‘penguin’ (that’s what he calls the cuckoo) come out and sing. He’s so into them that I’m thinking of getting him his own cuckoo clock for his birthday.

Of course I’ve since discovered that if you get an authentic Black Forest chalet, the cost can quickly run into the hundreds. As DS has the usual kindergartner's attention span, I wonder if he’ll watch it for a few days and then grow bored with it. Or worse, want us to turn it off, because the ‘penguin’s’ chirping is interfering with his video games. No, not that! Perish the thought!

Anyway, since he’s completely into them now, he may abandon them by the time his birthday rolls around in May. But in the mean time, he spends his evenings previewing cuckoo clock ‘videos’ and remarking on whether they have dancers, whether the bird is brown or white, how much music they offer, and if they have a beer-guzzling lederhosen dude on the front. All important things in selecting the right clock. Guess which one of us will be the cuckoo if this keeps up much longer?

Today, Day 3, is better. I’m no longer at the sneezy end of Life's Dustmop. I’m still a little dishrag-y and I think my evening cappuccino was a ‘regular’ and not a ‘decaf’, since I was in bed a long time before I fell asleep. It was either that, or my homework is far more fascinating to me than I realized. I kept thinking about one-tailed hypothesis testing (not nearly as interesting as it sounds) and when I closed my eyes, I saw bell curves. But I can feel my energy returning. I might even take a walk tonight after work. It’s going to be in the 60s this evening, and we’re all so sick of looking at the inside of the house that I think a skip to the park may be in order. Of course Lynda the Super Nanny is so good about getting DS outside, and Karl (Nanny husband) is so keen on making DS into an English soccer sensation that my little angel may be dead tired by the time he’s returned to me tonight. That’s ok. That’s what strollers are for.

Speaking of that, I noticed over the weekend that he refers to cookies as ‘biscuits’. I will have to fix that before some bully sneers at him during lunch, but for now it is so adorable. My little Yankee boy is referring to Nutter Butters as biscuits. Now if only I could figure out what he means by ‘markers’. Any Brits out there who can help me? Even Lynda doesn’t know. It’s some secret code, and he really likes them, but I can’t get enough of a description out of him to provide the treat. I know they’re small, colorful and soft. And they’re not marshmallows. When I suggested that last night, DS looked at me as if I had leprosy. Mom! Not Marshmallows. MARKERS! Sure. I’ll get right on that. As soon as we have the Universal Translator installed. Guess the new roof will have to wait.

A the S(till Fat, but Improving)

PS-659 words!

1 Comments:

Blogger Clydwich said...

Good! Short one, improving mood, nice blog. See, it'll all come right in the end!
Achter de wolken schijnt de zon, je moet alleen even wachten. (The sun shines behind all those clouds, just wait a bit for it)

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home