Beginning Again and Again

Sixtysomething and still learning how to live in this body, in this world, in this lifetime. I am evolving, as we all are, and I am loving it. I left the corporate world and became a Mah Jongg enthusiast. I am also a newly-converted vegan, walking around with a kidney stone in me. I am proud and happy of what I have, and what I have left behind. Sharing my thoughts with the goal to...share. My ego does not depend on being liked or accepted. I'm too old to care about any of that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Recently retired, teaching Mah Jongg, loving life

Sunday, August 02, 2026

The Fat of Life

 Frustration.

I feel plenty more than that: anger, disappointment, impatience, fear, resignation. All of this, and I, am over the top with everything. Even writing about it, I'm using hyperbole. I can't get the fat out of my writing and I can't get the fat off of me. 

I've been a vegan-esque eater for a month. I came home from the hospital, terrified to eat anything. I found the "How Not to Die" book and I devoured it, replacing meat and salt with words and ideas. Crazy ideas such as "I can be healthy" and "I can lose weight whenever I want." I sound like an addict, in fitful denial over the facts of my situation. And now I am trampling on myself for...what? Having failed? Plateauing before I ever descended? Wanting to give up but too afraid to do it? Select all. I have slashed calories and fat from my diet and yet the scale remains resolutely hammered into place. Moreover, I must do everything I've been doing in order to maintain my weight. If I eat even the slightest bit of meat or sodium, I gain weight and my blood pressure rises. If I take a day off from my walk or my workout, my weight and my blood pressure rises. I've managed to make my ceiling into a floor, where I can move or budge anything downward. 

Today I considered that maybe I was still eating too much. I don't really know how many calories I'm eating and I don't measure my food regularly so I could easily be oversizing my portions and my intake with it. So today I ate only 1 lentil cake instead of 2 or 3. A few hours later I was hungry so I had 2 cups of blackberries with a single serving of yogurt. This afternoon I had some of the tropical fruit salad I'd made for the Mah Jongg party. When I got home, I had a single serving of rice & vegetable soup. Around 8pm, I got very hungry and I made myself some chips & cheese. I counted out the chips for a single serving and I used only a little bit of cheese but I ate it. So perhaps cutting back on servings and portions is the right path, but today was too far. I shouldn't be scrounging for food at the end of the day. We'll try again tomorrow. 

Looking at today's menu, it does look more like a normal person's daily intake than what I had yesterday. Need some beans and some greens. That should help with the evening hungries. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home