Beginning Again and Again

Sixtysomething and still learning how to live in this body, in this world, in this lifetime. I am evolving, as we all are, and I am loving it. I left the corporate world and became a Mah Jongg enthusiast. I am also a newly-converted vegan, walking around with a kidney stone in me. I am proud and happy of what I have, and what I have left behind. Sharing my thoughts with the goal to...share. My ego does not depend on being liked or accepted. I'm too old to care about any of that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Recently retired, teaching Mah Jongg, loving life

Monday, August 10, 2026

Size Matters

 As it turns out, size matters.

Frustrated from a month of no weight loss despite long walks and a turn-about in my diet, I gave up. I decided that there was no point in exercising since it wasn't helping. I stopped walking and I stopped going to the gym (I went exactly once). I sat in my recliner for a week and stewed. While I stewed, I decided to cut my food intake. Maybe I was eating too much of good things. After all, I still used oil to cook and carbs are carbs. I cut my calories drastically. For a day or two, I ate only fruits or vegetables and very little of them. I tracked my calories and I estimated about 1,000 calories a day. I was able to manage it during the day, but at night I was so hungry that I made a chips and cheese plate for myself. The chips are low sodium and I was careful to use only a bit of cheese. It was delicious and it seemed to satisfy me so I kept it up. Over the next few days, the chips pile got larger and the cheese got deeper. By Friday, I was eating peanut butter on bread and feeling uncomfortably full. 

So I stopped overeating and I'm pleased to say that I was able to turn the switch off. I shopped for food on Saturday and there wasn't any chips or cheese in my cart. Saturday I had a day that I thought was a good representation of a day's eating. I see that rice and beans need to be moderated and I should include a large salad in my diet every day. I made sure to eat a hefty dinner so I wouldn't be hungry at night. I was anyway, but I staved it off. Today I made Vietnamese Fao (delicious and needs more noodles), which, along with Chana Masala and Tempeh Tacos, are my menu plan for the week. I bought some brussels so I could have cruciferous vegetables and some blackberries that I'm eating with oatmeal. The oatmeal is no brown sugar delight but the berries make it better. And I wanted something different for breakfast other than yogurt so here we are. 

My blood pressure has gone up in the week I stopped exercising. That is motivating. I hate taking blood pressure medication and I have fantasies of telling my doctor off when I go in for my next physical. But today it crept up into the 140s and even my diastolic is registering at or near 80. The tile guy is here so I haven't gone for my walk yet. I'm hoping to do it once the guy leaves. 

So now that I have my diet adjusted, I'm adding the exercise back in. Now is the time to maintain the data collection. Now is the time to keep my eyes on the data and away from the emotion of disliking how I look. I don't have negative thoughts: I have thoughts I'm interpreting as negative. I'm not even going to be in anticipation of the data. I'm just going to collect and observe. 

Portions matter. The size of the food eaten, matters. Now let's see if adding exercise matters. Well, no. Of course it matters. Let's see if adding exercise helps me to lose weight. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home