Beginning Again and Again

Sixtysomething and still learning how to live in this body, in this world, in this lifetime. I am evolving, as we all are, and I am loving it. I left the corporate world and became a Mah Jongg enthusiast. I am also a newly-converted vegan, walking around with a kidney stone in me. I am proud and happy of what I have, and what I have left behind. Sharing my thoughts with the goal to...share. My ego does not depend on being liked or accepted. I'm too old to care about any of that.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Recently retired, teaching Mah Jongg, loving life

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Eating Stealthy

Day 14
Mood: 5/10, and I’m being generous here.

This stinks.

I want to say that WW stinks, and my food addiction stinks and the unmentionable weirdness in my life stinks. But those are all by-products. What really stinks is my discipline. My discipline and my focus, both of which have gone hurling out the window and down to the curb, crushed by the extra weight I have carried since Christmas.

After last Saturday’s weigh-in at 152.75, I was inexplicably up to 155.50 on Monday, even though Sat & Sun were virtuously clean, food-wise. I was down to 154 by Tuesday, but then when Wednesday hit and I was still above the 153 fat mark, I lost my cool, and I never recovered. This morning, I’m back at 156, and there’s not a PMS day in sight for over a week.

I don’t think I can officially call it Holiday Weight, especially since I don’t celebrate Christmas in any real way (read: with food). Howard and I ate through December pretty much the way we always do; lots of vegetables, lean protein, low-fat popcorn at night. In any case, even if I had over-canape’d myself at the buffet, that was four months ago. I’ve been hiding behind my excuses, the weather, and long sweaters for 16 weeks. I have even sunk into that Nastyland-rationalization. Maybe I’m not meant to be 147 pounds. Maybe I’m stuck here in the low (MID!) 150s for good.

Well, sure I’m stuck here: stuck until my eating continues out of control for another month and I find myself dancing with the high 150s. How much longer until I can’t wear my jeans or I’m forced to buy new clothes because my wardrobe is Too Snug For Work?

I wish that my weakness lay in some common WW territory: I have to cook for a skinny husband who won’t eat ‘diet food’. Or that I traveled for work, and I can’t get good food on the road. Or I’ve been run over by a truck and my wheelchair doesn’t fit into the StairMaster. No, my malady is mine alone. My disease lurks in the trenches of my subconscious, down in the dino-brain between the awe of money and the fear of death.

I eat bad things when I’m alone.

I do this, even when I’m not hungry, even when I’m already sporting seam marks from my clothes, and even when I don’t like what I’m eating. I’m like a drunk in a hotel room with an complimentary mini-bar. If there’s free food, I’ll eat it.

Somewhere, ‘back there’, I was hungry all the time. Or maybe not hungry, but not able to eat when I wanted to. Or maybe ate whenever I needed it, but never allowed to indulge. I’m guessing here, because I honestly don’t know. We had nothing growing up. Everything was measured, and we didn’t eat leftovers because there never were any. Bologna sandwiches were a common dinner, and soup was served year round. But I can’t reasonably blame No Snacks In The House on my dysfunction. Anyway, I didn’t even know that was unusual until someone in my Sunday School class told a story about a ‘poor needy’ family who had sandwiches for dinner, and I realized that she could have been talking about me.

I do remember times growing up that I was really uncomfortably underfed, but most of that was after I moved away from home. Once I had $6 to last me 3 weeks until I got my first paycheck of the summer. I bought Ramen noodles at ten-for-a-dollar, broke each package in half and ate one ‘piece’ for breakfast and one for dinner. I skipped lunch (couldn’t afford it) and trolled the break rooms in the afternoons for post-meeting leftovers. I walked home through some not-so-cool neighborhoods, because I didn’t have the bus fare to get home the ‘luxury’ way.

Another time I had some car problem and it wrecked my budget for the winter. I bought a family-sized bag of instant oatmeal and gigantic box of brown sugar and ate that 2 or 3 times a day for over a month. When my roommate gave me a jar of peanut butter, claiming that she didn’t like ‘the creamy kind’, I nearly wept with joy. I stole a sleeve of saltines from a different roommate and hid the loot in my room, spreading transparent layers of peanut butter over a single cracker every night, to stretch it out. When I ran out of crackers, I pilfered a spoon and fed my habit straight from the jar.

But that’s just Growing Up stuff; learning about money management the hard way. I don’t think I can pin my issues on peanut butter and fake noodles--though I didn’t eat either for many years after that. I think it’s just the mis-wire in my brain, that I don’t ‘know’ where my next meal is coming from, or that it will ever come, and so I’d better down whatever I can slink off with.

It’s the same reason why I haven’t purchased anything of substance for years—if ever. I don’t know when I’m going to lose my job, or get all my money taken away by some mean-spirited former live-in lover, or forget to turn in a tax document and have my bank accounts siphoned off by the IRS (this latter has never happened). When X and I had to buy a second car to get me to work, I paid cash for a used mini-van and then was mean to him for weeks afterwards. We had effectively tripled our income, but I couldn’t rest until every cent was replaced and resting in the savings account.

So okay, if this is who I am, then what do I do? Do I accept this about myself and say good-bye to the 140s forever? But then I can’t explain how I was able to maintain that beautiful position for months. Do I dig into the nethers of my mind, figure out why I’m such a psycho about dollars and donuts, and then work to weed it out of me? I don’t think there’s a shrink out there who could un-truffle that one. I don’t even know what it is; how would she?

Maybe I just put myself into places where I’m never alone, or if I am, there’s no food anywhere. If I have to work late, I schlep to the library. If I’m home first, I walk laps around the house until someone comes home. I make the house ingredients-only, so if I want to pad the octopus, I have to make something. That ought to fix it: I’m as lazy as I am stealth when it comes to food. If it ain’t made, don’t eat it. That’s me. If I even have to sprinkle fat-free cheese into a wrap, I’ll blow it off. Too much trouble.

Too much pain. Today I met a friend for lunch. I hadn’t seen him in years, and the last time we were together, I was at my fully fatted 250+. Yet I nearly cancelled because I’m carrying 9 extra pounds, I’m in my size 7 juniors , and I look bigger.

He would never have known-from his perspective, I’m down 90 pounds and 11 sizes. But I came close to collapse, worrying about what he’d say when he saw my octopus hanging over my jeans. Never mind that he has a new baby and that he called me ‘slim’ when he saw me. I knew I was different, even if he didn’t. I knew it, I did this to myself, and that has made all the difference.

This crap-tacular attitude won’t help, I know. I’ll fix it. I just have to work it out. And work out. And give up my alone time, because clearly that is a trigger. Guess it’s time to find the ‘safety’ and snap it back on.

A the W(TF?)

2 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne said...

Ok, just my opinion - but when you were at your lowest weight - I actually thought you looked too thin - the extra few pounds really does look better on you....and maybe the resason you are up a bit from there is that your body realizes that this is the better weight for you, too....but then again - it's just my opinion.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thank you, Yvonne. This comforts me, and I appreciate the note.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home